Online stores use many tactics to get customers to buy, keep them on their site longer, get more information from them, and try to get them coming back. They can also be seen as Call to Actions.
Here are some tactics the top online retailers use that you may want to consider implementing on your site.
Tactics to Upsell Customers More Products
Along the bottom of a product page, you will see retailers use headings such as:
- Related Searches
- Customers Who Bought This Also Purchased
- Customers Who Viewed This Also Viewed
- You May Also Like
- Complete the Look (show more product photos)
- Also in this Collection
- Add to Wish List
- Favorite ♥
- Your Recent History
- Top Rated
- Email to a Friend
- Buy any 2 for $25
- New Arrivals
Tactics to Get Customers’ Information
On the home or landing page, online retailers will use these tactics:
- Email Sign-up
- Exclusive Offers
- Enter our Contest to Win!
- Need Help? Live Chat
- Give Us Feedback
- Write a Review
- Join our Points Program
- Invite friends get $15
Tactics to Get Customers to Buy Today
The home page also typically features sales or other incentives to buy now:
- Today’s is 10% off Tuesday
- New Reductions
- Free Shipping Today Only
- Back in Stock (making it sound like it sells out fast)
- Ending Soon
Tactics to Encourage Social Media Participation
Getting potential customers to either follow you or promote you on social media:
- Connect with Us (list all the social media icons)
- Tell your Friends on Facebook (the Facebook post box is right there)
- Pin It ! (not the regular Pin It icon, but their own neon version with an arrow)
- View our Most Popular Pins
- View Instagram Pics
- Submit an Instagram Pic
- Download our iPhone app
Other Tactics to Keep Customers on Site
Online stores are becoming content driven, with blogs and other information that will facilitate the buying decision:
- Get Inspired with These Ideas!
- Our Designers Favorite Picks
- Gift Guide
- Upcoming Events
- Our Story
As you can see, the days of just putting up a shop and displaying your products is very passé. You need to deploy as many of these tactics as possible to engage your customers, get them to buy, and keep them coming back.
Need Help Marketing Your Online Business? I offer a variety of affordable marketing services. Just contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form below. Also, check out my Ebook Shop for more marketing advice.
© 2013 G.B. Oliver. All rights reserved.