Valentines Day is a great opportunity for any online shop, so I thought I would start you off with a few interesting facts.
Valentines Day Spending Statistics
According to the National Retail Federation, last year Americans spent $18.9 billion on Valentines Day. The average person spent $142.31 with $96.63 of that on a gift for their spouse/Valentine. The leftover $45.68 was spent on other family members, friends, coworkers, pets, children’s classmates or teachers.
On average, men spend $190.53 (with $128.90 of that on his actual Valentine) and women spend $96.58, of which $62.47 was on a gift for their Valentine.
The biggest sellers will be cards, followed by flowers (mostly male buyers), candy, going out, jewelry, clothing and gift cards.
Another interesting stat to note is that the interest in the holiday drops off after the age of 44. Therefore, you might want to spend your time focusing on men, ages 18 to 44, with items in the $100 to $130 range.
I then went over to Amazon to see how people were searching for gifts and noticed a slight difference between men and women:
Men are searching:
- Valentines Gifts for Her Bundle
- Valentines Gifts for Her Basket
- Valentines Gifts for Her Sexy
- Valentines Gifts for Her Necklace
- Valentines Gifts for Her Chocolate
- Valentines Gifts for Her Clothes
- Valentines Gifts for Her Jewelry
Women are searching:
- Valentines Gift for Him Sexy
- Valentines Gift for Him Basket
- Valentines Gift for Him Funny
- Valentines Gift for Him Star Wars
- Valentines Gift for Him Bracelets
- Valentines Gift for Him Beer
- Valentines Gift for Him Football
6 Valentine’s Tips for Your Online Shop
- Change your shop banner and social media banners to advertise Valentines gift ideas.
- Add a Valentines Gift category to your shop, and if you can specify, “Valentines Gifts for Him”, Valentines Gifts for Her”, “Valentines Gifts for Kids”, etc., even better.
- Let people know the final order date in order to receive items in time for Valentine’s Day (which is a Sunday).
- Offer cards and gift wrap either as a value-add or for an extra fee.
- Add “Valentine’s gift” and related keywords to your Pinterest descriptions, as “Valentines Gifts for Her Pinterest” and “Valentines Gifts for Him Pinterest” were popular Google searches, indicating people will be looking to the social media site for ideas.
- No later than January 20th, email customers Valentines Day Specials with categories such as “Gifts Under $50” “Gifts Under $25”, etc.
Want to Talk to Me About Your Business? Get the details on my popular (and extremely affordable) phone consultations.
© 2016 Gail Oliver. All rights reserved.