I have often talked about how, on average, at least 1% of traffic should convert into a sale. It’s not a hard and fast rule because there are many factors that come into play, but, typically if 100 people view a product listing of yours, you should get at least 1 sale. If this is not happening, you have a problem.
While 1% is average, a very good conversion rate is 2 to 5%, but again, for this to happen you have to make sure you have done the following:
- Do you match your competition feature for feature? Maybe someone sees your necklace and likes it, but they want it in gold not silver, can you honor their request? Otherwise, they will keep looking.
- Have you left out vital information such as size, weight, materials, etc.? Don’t make the customer search for the info or feel they have to ask; they won’t.
- Are you priced comparable to your direct competition? If you are too priced high the buyer will keep shopping around. If you are priced too low, the buyer worries about the quality.
- Are your shipping charges crazy high? This is a deal breaker for many as shipping is seen as throw away money to a customer. Shipping should never be more than 20% of the price. If you can’t do that, work some of the shipping back into the price.
- Have you created a sense of trust with the buyer, such as good reviews, publicity in mainstream media, business awards, easy return policy, etc. There are many customers who will not buy from a seller with no return policy, it is too risky.
- Is your product photography top quality? Do your photos help to show the size and scale (how many times have you read reviews where people say the product was much smaller than they thought)? Do you have photos that zoom in on the details? Remember, they are buying it without seeing it or touching it, or you have to provide that same experience.
- Sometimes there are just little things that are turning off buyers, but you are too close to your products to be objective. This is where I come in. For a limited time I am offering a Quick Fix for just $15. I have an average conversion rate of 8%, so send me a link to one of your product listings and I will tell you exactly why people aren’t buying and what you need to change. Click here to order My Quick Fix from my Selz site OR from my Etsy Shop.
latest customer review
“Etsy Shop Critique – Excellent! So helpful, thorough and precise! I’ve been selling on Etsy for over three years and thought I had learned just about all the hacks — I was wrong! Thanks so much!” Brittany, The Bohipstian on Etsy.
© 2017. Gail Oliver. All rights reserved.