When Google searches your online shop, they search your shop sections/categories/departments, so it doesn’t hurt to update them from time to time, especially when it comes to seasonal shopping habits.
For example, the online home goods store, Wayfair, has added two prominent shop categories, right at the top of the page, “College Living” and “Back to School“. Under these headings, Wayfair also has various sub headings (based on popular search phrases) such as:
- Dorm Design on a Budget
- 14 Dorm Design Ideas
- Dorm Essentials
- College Checklist
Google reads these headings and sub headings and, as a result, it will drastically move Wayfair up in Google searches for anyone looking for college dorm room decor.
Other notable top online retailers have already added fall-related shop sections:
- Williams-Sonoma has added a “Halloween Preview” shop section
- H&M has added a “Fall Looks” shop section
- Nordstrom has added “Back to School” and “Summer to Fall Booties“
- Grandin Road has added “Halloween Haven“
- Office Depot has added its “Back to School Headquarters” as well as its “Mobile Accessories Marketplace” (as many college kids are upgrading their laptops, phones, etc. before they head back)
- Pier 1 has added “Fall & Autumn Decor” and a sneak peak at their “Halloween 2013 Collection“
- Ann Taylor has added “Pre-Fall Forecast“
- Bed, Bath & Beyond has added “College Shopping / Back to College“
- J.Crew has added the section “Looks We Love for Back to School“
- Best Buy has added “College Student Deals“
FINAL WORD: Shop sections, categories, departments and headings are very important in Google search. Make sure you are adding ones relevant to seasonal shopping habits (in this case, Back to School, Fall Fashion, Autumn Decorating, Halloween Decor, College Shopping, etc.) to help drive more traffic to your online shop. It also helps your shop to get found by blog and magazine editors who are looking to write about products on these topics as well.
Are you an Etsy seller? I do Etsy shop consultations as well. Please visit my Etsy store here.
My Ebooks will walk you through EVERYTHING you need to do to bring more traffic and sales to your online shop. Download my Ebooks here.
© 2013 G.B. Oliver. All rights reserved.