If you are not converting more than 1% of your traffic into sales, then you need to write product descriptions that will sell your products. When I write product copy for clients (see my services page) my goal is to quickly emphasize the main value of the product (what problem does it solve), make the reader want to buy it (even if they don’t need it), and include a closing line to try and secure the sale.
Therefore, I am going to break it down for you sentence by sentence what effective product copy does, using a good example from Maxwell’s Daily Finds of the popular blog, Apartment Therapy.
Provendi Rotating Soap Fixture Description
“I love these so much we used to sell them through our little online Apartment Therapy store years ago. They were hard to find, but leave it to Anthro to solve that problem. Designed for public schools in France, the ‘sweetly scented, softly foaming vegetable-based soap’ rotates and slowly wears down. New soap replacements just get screwed onto the ‘spike.’ It’s a great solution for kitchen sinks, bathrooms without a lot of counter space OR beside bathtubs or outdoor showers. Oh, and it’s a conversation starter as well.”
Why This Product Copy Works
- It solves a problem – “great solution for bathrooms without a lot of counter space”
- It has an European chic appeal – “designed for schools in France”
- It has eco-appeal – “vegetable-based soap”
- It will last a long time – “slowly wears down”
- It can go in multiple rooms “kitchen sinks, small bathrooms, outdoor showers”, so encourages buying more than one
- It is a cool product – “conversation starter”
Original Antonioni BLOW UP Movie Poster Description
“I love original European movie posters to wake up a room and make a statement. This is one of the best, and I originally saw it used in a Ralph Lauren showroom in NC. Huge (55×79), vintage from 1967, perfect in its raw style and brilliantly red, it’s aspirational in price, but worth it.”
Why This Product Copy Works
- It solves a problem – “wakes up a room and makes a statement”
- It has rare appeal – “vintage from 1967”
- It has the chic factor – “original European movie posters”
- It has cache – “used in a Ralph Lauren showroom in NC”
- Yes, it’s expensive but it’s “an original”, it’s “huge (55 x 79)” and it’s “one of the best movie posters”
Do You Sell on Etsy?
If you really want to drive traffic and sales at your Etsy shop in 2017, my all-new 2017 Etsy Shop Marketing Plan and 2017 Etsy Shop Social Media Plan are the only guides you’ll need. I worked very hard to jam pack these plans with all new ideas, tactics and insight. Click the links above to go to my Etsy shop and get all the details!
Click here for a vertical pin to share on Pinterest!
Need Help Marketing Your Business?
I do one-on-one marketing consulting for e-commerce, Etsy and other online businesses. I am pretty booked right now so the earliest I am taking phone consultations is the week of January 23rd, 2017. Just see my Selz.com shop for more details. You can also contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or using the form below.
© 2012-2017 Gail Oliver, Attention Getting Marketing. All rights reserved.