My blog post about Creative Ideas to Promote Your Small Business During the Sochi Winter Olympics was particularly popular, so I decided to follow-up with more promotional ideas for your small business.
As I have said many times, publicity is key to getting your business noticed. The press always loves writing about a unique promotion, especially if it can be part of a story relevant to something currently going on in the news – be it a holiday, event or a trending topic.
One Small Business’ Promotional Idea
To give you an example, one of my clients, Bright Baby Photography, is a newborn photography studio in the San Francisco Bay area. The photographer, Gurpreet Kaur offers a service whereby once a month she will shoot a free baby portrait for a new mom whose husband is serving overseas. When it is Veterans Day (November 11th) or National Military Appreciation Month (May), it poses a good opportunity for her to tell the press about this offer (as the press is typically looking for editorial on this subject), bringing attention to her business.
Some of My Promotional Tactics to Try
These are some of my ideas that you can apply to your small business. Remember, you need to approach the press a few weeks in advance of the occasion in order for them to have time to work it into their editorial calendars.
- A fitness studio that is offering free workout classes on the day after “Fat Tuesday”
- A sports store that will either put winter equipment on a one-day sale or spring equipment on a one-day sale on February 2nd, depending on what the Ground Hog sees
- A real estate agent that offers a free service on how to “green” your new home is great to promote for Earth Day (April 22nd)
- A local grocery store that is offering in-store tastings of possible Superbowl recipes
- A restaurant that is offering a free drink to anyone who can show that they owe taxes on April 15th
- A beauty salon that is offering Shamrock nail art designs /manicures for St. Patrick’s Day
- A comic book store that is offering a free in-store viewing party for the premiere of the TV show, Games of Thrones (April 6th)
- A tutor that is offering a last-minute, free crash course for the SATS at a local library
You can get more of my creative promotional ideas in my Ebook, 101 Promotional Ideas for Your Small Business.
You may also like my blog post, 28 Great Marketing Ideas for Small Businesses Selling Online
Does Your Small Business Need Marketing Advice?
My marketing consultation is an affordable way to get your business on track. More information here.
© 2012-2014 Gail Oliver. All rights reserved.