If you really want to know how to promote your business, as I have said many times, publicity is key. The press always loves writing about a unique promotion, especially if it can be part of a story relevant to something currently going on in the news – be it a holiday, event or a trending topic. I give tons of all-original promotional ideas in my Marketing Ebooks, so I thought I would give you a few here to inspire you.
One Small Business’ Promotional Idea
To give you an example, one of my clients, Bright Baby Photography, is a newborn photography studio in the San Francisco Bay area. The photographer, Gurpreet Kaur offers a service whereby once a month she will shoot a free baby portrait for a new mom whose husband is serving overseas. When it is Veterans Day (November 11th) or National Military Appreciation Month (May), it poses a good opportunity for her to tell the press about this offer (as the press is typically looking for editorial on this subject), bringing attention to her business.
8 Promotional Ideas to Inspire You
These are some of my ideas that you can apply to your small business. Remember, you need to approach the press a few weeks in advance of the occasion in order for them to have time to work it into their editorial calendars.
- A fitness studio that is offering free workout classes on the day after “Fat Tuesday”
- A sports store that will either put winter equipment on a one-day sale or spring equipment on a one-day sale on February 2nd, depending on what the Ground Hog sees
- A real estate agent that offers a free service on how to “green” your new home is great to promote for Earth Day (April 22nd)
- A local grocery store that is offering in-store tastings of possible Superbowl recipes
- A restaurant that is offering a free drink to anyone who can show that they owe taxes on April 15th
- A beauty salon that is offering Shamrock nail art designs /manicures for St. Patrick’s Day
- A comic book store that is offering a free in-store viewing party for the premiere of the TV show, Games of Thrones (April 6th)
- A tutor that is offering a last-minute, free crash course for the SATS at a local library
© 2015-2016 Gail Oliver, Attention Getting Marketing. All rights reserved.